COVID-19 Visitor Restrictions
Effective October 5, 2023: Georgian Bay General Hospital (GBGH) is reinstating mandatory masking in most areas of the hospital in response to elevated rates of respiratory illness in the community, including COVID-19. This change in masking protocol applies to anyone attending the hospital, including patients, visitors, hospital staff, professional staff, and volunteers.
- Masks are once again required in all common areas of the hospital such as corridors and waiting rooms, as well as any patient care/clinical areas. These areas include the Emergency department, diagnostic imaging, inpatient units, the intensive care unit, surgical services and obstetrics.
- Visitors and patients are required to wear a hospital-provided mask upon entry to the building with the expectation the mask will be worn for the duration of their visit. Visitors and patients must wash their hands upon entering/exiting the building, and are expected to self-screen for symptoms of illness.
- The reinstatement of masking does not impact GBGH’s current visitation policy which allows 24/7 family presence. Visitors will now be expected to wear a mask throughout their entire visit, including while in a patient room.
Family presence is an important part of patient-centred care at GBGH. GBGH has returned to 24/7 Family Presence, enabling visitors to see their loved ones in hospital at any time.
- If you are visiting a patient between the following hours, you must enter the hospital through the Emergency department
- Monday – Friday: 8 p.m. – 6:30 a.m.
- Saturday & Sunday: 8 p.m. – 8 a.m.
- If visiting during these times, you will be asked to provide your name to the Emergency department Registration Clerk who will inform the unit of your visitation
- You will be escorted to the unit you’re visiting
All visitors must continue to:
- Visitors and patients are required to wear a hospital-provided mask upon entry to the building with the expectation the mask will be worn for the duration of their visit.
- Self-screen for symptoms, as per the posted signage
COVID-19 policies are subject to change based on the status of the pandemic within the region GBGH serves.
When a unit is in outbreak, visitation on that unit is limited to essential caregivers only. Please contact the unit you are visiting for more information.
Everyone entering GBGH should be self-screening for the following symptoms:
- Fever and/or chills
- Shortness of breath
- Decrease or loss of sense of taste or smell
As well as two or more of:
- Runny nose / nasal congestion
- Extreme fatigue
- Sore throat
- Muscle aches / joint pain
- Gastrointestinal symptoms (vomiting, diarrhea)
All visitors must comply with hand hygiene practices, wear a hospital-provided mask and follow physical distancing. Visitors could also be asked to wear additional personal protective equipment as determined by the care team based on a patients’ condition.
Visitor guidelines are subject to change based on the status of the pandemic within the region GBGH serves.
Virtual visitation options are still encouraged where possible (please see below).
To use the virtual visitation service, please click here – https://georgianbay.connectmybed.ca/
The hospital anticipates having this service continue beyond the pandemic for loved ones who are unable to visit.