Welcome to the Georgian Bay General Hospital Obstetrics program. Georgian Bay General Hospital’s obstetrical unit provides Level I obstetrical care at our Midland site with services provided by family physicians, midwives, general surgeons and nurses. Georgian Bay General partners with Orillia Soldiers’ Memorial Hospital, a Level II facility with paediatricians and obstetricians on staff, for higher risk deliveries and those needing a specialist.
- During the labour process, moms may have two support people with them.
- Your baby will be rooming in with you during your hospital stay.
- Visiting hours are 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. and open for partners. Siblings are welcome to visit but must be supervised at all times.
- A vaginal delivery post partum stay is about 24 hours. If you have a Caesarian birth your length of stay is generally 48 hours.
- Moms and babies are given bracelets with matching numbers. For the safety of all the hospital requests that you not leave your baby unattended and ensure any staff handling your baby have visible staff identification.
GBGH offers a Prenatal Clinic to provide important care and support during pregnancy for mothers who do not have a primary care provider (family physician, nurse practitioner). To access this service, please complete the Prenatal Clinic request form.
Items you will need to bring with you
Labour and Delivery:
- Watch, stop watch, or cellphone with a timer
- Lip protection (lypsil/lip gloss)
- Pen (not pencil)
- Lotion and/or body powder
- Two pairs of socks
- Elastic to keep long hair off the neck
- Soap and shampoo and other items for personal care (toothbrush/paste etc.)
- Watch or cellphone with a timer
- Change of comfortable clothes and underwear
- Breast pads
- Pen (for filling out government documents)
- Housecoat (medium weight)
- Comfortable pillow (extra for support person if staying overnight)
- Blow dryer
- Water bottle
- Snacks (additional food for support person)
- Bra (one cup size larger than pre-delivery)
- Night gowns
- Sanitary napkins (no tampons)
Baby Care Items:
- Diapers (newborn)
- Heavy baby blanket
- Baby wipes/wash cloths
- Vaseline/coconut oil
- Car seat (needed close to discharge time)
- Patient Handout – Labour Items Need for Hospital Experience
- Anesthetic Questionnaire
- Guide for Surgical Patients
Please note that circumcisions are performed for a fee in Ontario – $359.00. You will be required to pay prior to the procedure.
Pre-registration for tours is mandatory!
Please contact the obstetrical department at 526-1300 extension 5051 to book your appointment for a tour.
Please call for information
The “tour” involves a tour of the obstetrical unit and introduces you to some of the policies and procedures during your stay at GBGH. The basic principle of the tour is to get you comfortable with your surroundings and describe what will occur when you come in, in labour.
Please bring your health card, and extended benefit card (if applicable) to tour night, the session will take approximately 1 hour. Partners & coaches are encouraged to attend with you.
For additional information, please visit the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit’s “Planning, Pregnant and Parenting” website.